Monday, April 21, 2008

Online photo sharing


Last week I added a new photo album to my Facebook account, with some garden photos. I'm including a few here, too.

It was really easy to upload photos to both Facebook and Blogger, plus I already use Google's Picasa software. One side of my family created a Picasa web album so that everyone (it's a big family!) could upload and share photos.

But other than that private web album I keep most of my photos on just my own PC. I downloaded Picasa in 2006 after a vacation during which hundreds of digital photos were taken. I was impressed with how easy it was to use, and the ease of scrolling through the multitude of photos on my PC.

It was a really nice surprise when the media detection software found some photos I had downloaded from email messages years before, and had completely forgotten about!

Since I've been so satisfied with Picasa, and other family members are also using it as well, I'm not very familiar with flickr. I know it's extremely popular, though.

Picasa allows one to edit photos, which doesn't appear to be an option with flickr. But flickr's tagging, groups, sets, and its Explore page are way beyond anything that Picasa does.

Therefore, flickr appears to be the better option for libraries and archives that want to post photo collections online, such as The Library of Congress' photostream or the Cleveland Memory Project's photostream.


No comments: